I am a technical leader focused on developing high performing teams and learning organizations while maintaining strong technical roots in distributed system architecture and production engineering. I focus on outcomes and driving to achieve them usually via processes aligned with DevOps principles and it's roots in Systems Thinking.
Empowering organizations to extract value from investments in AI, Machine Learning, and data science.
Director of Engineering: Infrastructure & Operations Oct 2019 - Present
- Responsible for delivery of ML platform to Fortune 100/500 enterprise and government organizations
- Responsible for Production Engineering of algorthmia.com including its SOC 2 compliance process
- Product owner and project manager for cloud and on-prem enterprise deployment platform
- Established a center of excellence for the QA discipline
- Built a devops-oriented Software Engineering team of SREs, Deployment Engineers, and QA Managers
Director of Customer Engineering June 2018 - Oct 2019
- Built a multi-disciplinary org accounting for nearly one-third the company size going into a $25M Series B
- Responsible for customer lifecycle from pre-sales to delivery, education, support, and account growth
- Led architecture and development of software to support deployment of ML platform to Fortune 100/500 enterprises and government organizations (AWs, Azure, GovCloud, C2S, Kubernetes)
- Worked cross-org to drive a reorg (dissolving my own org, forming the new new Infra & Operations team)
Senior Software Engineer Jan 2015 - Jun 2018
- Designed and implemented full-stack features for Algorithmia's ML platform (Scala, JS, MySQL, Rust, Docker)
- Architected an incremental frontend rewrite that enabled frontend developers to own UX (VueJS, NodeJS, Typescript)
- Built deployment automation to support complex enterprise and government deployments (AWS, Kubernetes, Ansible)
Empowering childcare owners to care more about children and less about paperwork.
Co-creator Jan 2012 - Jan 2019
- Started small business in Mexico to help government-subsidized daycares in Mexico.
- Designed, implemented, and maintained a production Rails service
Socrata (acquired by Tyler Technologies)
Empowering governments and their citizens with Open Data.
Software Engineer 2 (DevOps) Mar 2013 - Jan 2015
- Designed and built automation to provision and deploy services to Azure
- Led the adoption of Docker for production services
- Authored Chef configuration management and created processes for maintaining distributed systems
- Replaced monitoring infrastructure with Sensu
- Contributed to test strategy, release process, hardware capacity planning, cloud migration, and mentoring
Software Development Engineer in Test 2 - System Center Configuration Manager Jun 2011 - Mar 2013
Software Developer Engineering in Test - Windows Storage & File Systems Jan 2009 - Jun 2011
Are We Learning Yet? - Creator and co-maintainer
Catalogging the Rust-based Machine Learning ecosystem
Rust OSS Maintainer - Creator and maintainer
Maintain a variety of OSS Rust crates across multiple domains (CLI user experience, client libraries, OS utilities)
Iowa State University - Graduated 2008 - B.S. in Computer Engineering
Tec de Monterrey - Semester Abroad 2007 - Spanish and Computer Engineering