I am a technical leader focused on developing high performing teams and learning organizations while maintaining strong technical roots in distributed system architecture and production engineering. I focus on outcomes and achieving them via processes aligned with DevOps principles and it's roots in Systems Thinking.
But for now, I've turned my focus toward a local, hard-to-scale, face-to-face, challenge.
Inspiring and fostering a local community of creators.
Founder Aug 2022 - Present
I aspire to provide a world class space for collaborating and creating, for inspiring and incubating, for empowering and elevating.
I believe that everybody in my neighborhood should have access to the knowledge, tools, and people required to literally make their dreams come true.
Enabling production-grade cloud-native distributed edge infrastructure powering 5G.
Senior Engineering Manager: Container Infra & DevOps June 2021 - Aug 2022
- Responsible for kubernetes platform powering the 5G distributed edge (StarlingX & Wind River Cloud Platform)
- Led the adoption of distributed build and CI architecture to support a 100+ member engineering org
Empowering organizations to extract value from investments in AI, Machine Learning, and data science.
Director of Engineering: Infrastructure & Operations Oct 2019 - June 2021
- Responsible for delivery of ML platform to Fortune 500 enterprise and government organizations
- Responsible for Production Engineering of algorthmia.com including its SOC 2 compliance process
- Product owner and project manager for kubernetes-based cloud and on-prem enterprise deployment platform
- Led center of excellence for the QA discipline and Operational Readiness for the engineering organization
- Built a devops-oriented Software Engineering team of SREs, Deployment Engineers, and QA Managers
Director of Customer Engineering June 2018 - Oct 2019
- Built multi-disciplinary org responsible for customer lifecycle from pre-sales to delivery, education, support, and account growth going into $25M Series B
- Led architecture and development of cloud deployment platform for Fortune 500 organizations (AWS, Azure, GovCloud, C2S, Kubernetes, Python)
- Worked cross-org to drive a reorg (dissolving my own org, forming the new new Infra & Operations team)
Senior Software Engineer Jan 2015 - Jun 2018
- Designed and implemented full-stack features for Algorithmia's ML platform (Scala, JS, MySQL, Rust, Docker)
- Architected an incremental frontend rewrite that enabled frontend developers to own UX (VueJS, NodeJS, Typescript)
- Built deployment automation to support complex enterprise and government deployments (AWS, Kubernetes, Ansible)
Empowering childcare owners to care more about children and less about paperwork.
Co-creator Jan 2012 - Jan 2019
- Started small business in Mexico to help government-subsidized daycares.
- Designed, implemented, and maintained a production Rails service
Socrata (acquired by Tyler Technologies)
Empowering governments and their citizens with Open Data.
Software Engineer 2 (DevOps) Mar 2013 - Jan 2015
- Designed and built automation to provision and deploy services to Azure
- Led the adoption of Docker for production services
- Authored Chef configuration management and created processes for maintaining distributed systems
- Implemented monitoring infrastructure (Sensu) across physical datacenters and Azure
- Drove operational requirements for a major rearchitecture: from hardware capacity planning to deployment model across infrastructure
- Contributed to test strategy, release process, hardware capacity planning, cloud migration, and mentoring
Software Development Engineer in Test 2 - System Center Configuration Manager Jun 2011 - Mar 2013
Drove software distribution test strategy and security compliance for embedded devices using write-filters
Software Developer Engineering in Test - Windows Storage & File Systems Jan 2009 - Jun 2011
Developed Windows 7 storage certification tools relating to SSDs, Storage Controllers, and Data Integrity
Are We Learning Yet? - Creator and co-maintainer
Cataloging the Rust-based Machine Learning ecosystem
Rust OSS Maintainer - Creator and maintainer
Maintain a variety of OSS Rust crates across multiple domains (CLI user experience, client libraries, OS utilities)
Iowa State University - Graduated 2008 - B.S. in Computer Engineering
Tec de Monterrey - Semester Abroad 2007 - Spanish (fluent) and Computer Engineering