I am a technical leader focused on developing high performing teams and learning organizations while maintaining strong technical roots in distributed system architecture and production engineering. I focus on outcomes and driving to achieve them usually via processes aligned with DevOps principles and it's roots in Systems Thinking.
Empowering organizations to extract value from investments in AI, Machine Learning, and data science.
Director of Engineering: Infrastructure & Operations Oct 2019 - Present
- Responsible for delivery of ML platform to Fortune 500 enterprise and government organizations
- Responsible for Production Engineering of algorthmia.com including its SOC 2 compliance process
- Product owner and project manager for kubernetes-based cloud and on-prem enterprise deployment platform
- Led center of excellence for the QA discipline and Operational Readiness for the engineering organization
- Built a devops-oriented Software Engineering team of SREs, Deployment Engineers, and QA Managers
Director of Customer Engineering June 2018 - Oct 2019
- Built multi-disciplinary org responsible for customer lifecycle from pre-sales to delivery, education, support, and account growth going into $25M Series B
- Led architecture and development of cloud deployment platform for Fortune 500 organizations (AWS, Azure, GovCloud, C2S, Kubernetes, Python)
- Worked cross-org to drive a reorg (dissolving my own org, forming the new new Infra & Operations team)
Senior Software Engineer Jan 2015 - Jun 2018
- Designed and implemented full-stack features for Algorithmia's ML platform (Scala, JS, MySQL, Rust, Docker)
- Architected an incremental frontend rewrite that enabled frontend developers to own UX (VueJS, NodeJS, Typescript)
- Built deployment automation to support complex enterprise and government deployments (AWS, Kubernetes, Ansible)
Empowering childcare owners to care more about children and less about paperwork.
Co-creator Jan 2012 - Jan 2019
- Started small business in Mexico to help government-subsidized daycares.
- Designed, implemented, and maintained a production Rails service
Socrata (acquired by Tyler Technologies)
Empowering governments and their citizens with Open Data.
Software Engineer 2 (DevOps) Mar 2013 - Jan 2015
- Designed and built automation to provision and deploy services to Azure
- Led the adoption of Docker for production services
- Authored Chef configuration management and created processes for maintaining distributed systems
- Implemented monitoring infrastructure (Sensu) across physical datacenters and Azure
- Drove operational requirements for a major rearchitecture: from hardware capacity planning to deployment model across infrastructure
- Contributed to test strategy, release process, hardware capacity planning, cloud migration, and mentoring
Software Development Engineer in Test 2 - System Center Configuration Manager Jun 2011 - Mar 2013
Drove software distribution test strategy and security compliance for embedded devices using write-filters
Software Developer Engineering in Test - Windows Storage & File Systems Jan 2009 - Jun 2011
Developed Windows 7 storage certification tools relating to SSDs, Storage Controllers, and Data Integrity
Are We Learning Yet? - Creator and co-maintainer
Cataloging the Rust-based Machine Learning ecosystem
Rust OSS Maintainer - Creator and maintainer
Maintain a variety of OSS Rust crates across multiple domains (CLI user experience, client libraries, OS utilities)
Iowa State University - Graduated 2008 - B.S. in Computer Engineering
Tec de Monterrey - Semester Abroad 2007 - Spanish (fluent) and Computer Engineering